Facility will provide training center for employees
SALINAS, CA, March 6, 2009- Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System (SVMHS) opens the doors to its new, state-of-the-art Nursing Education Center later this week. The building, located at 611 Abbott Street in Salinas, houses the Healthcare System's Education Department on the second floor of the building. Precision Orthopedics, a medical group of orthopedic surgeons, leases the first floor of the building.
"This building represents three significant commitments on the part of this Healthcare System," said Sam Downing, MBA, MPH. "First, our dedication to continuing education and training is unwavering. Education is key to quality patient care, and this building stands as a testament to that commitment. Secondly, we support our employees by providing the tools they need to do the very best job possible, and that includes a robust program of continuing education. And finally, by moving our Education Department away from the main campus, along with all of the employee training sessions conducted through this Department, we are easing traffic and congestion in our neighborhood," Downing said.
A recent grant to the Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital Foundation from the Henry L. Guenther Foundation, located in Southern California, helped fund the Simulation Laboratory at the new facility.
Highlights of the Education Center:
- Center will house state-of-the-art Experiential Learning Center (scheduled to open fall 2009), offering "real life" training experiences with life-like computerized mannequins. These training sessions are video taped and played back for review and learning.
- Designed for training and education of SVMHS clinical and support staff
- Computer lab for online instruction and presentations for up to 40 people
- Computer room for laptop instruction and meetings
- Classroom seats 60 people and can be sectioned off into two or four smaller classrooms
- Skills Lab recreates a clinical setting for nursing instruction
- Conference room for training sessions, meetings and debriefing area for Experiential Learning Center
- Offices for SVMHS education staff