Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System (SVMHS) is proud to initiate the first 24/7 Obstetrics Emergency Department (OB ED) in Monterey County dedicated solely to treating unexpected issues in pregnant mothers-to-be.
For reasons that aren’t always entirely clear, complications can sometimes arise when a baby is born. That’s why SVMHS has assembled a highly credentialed group of clinical specialists and experienced healthcare professionals to collaborate and provide mother and baby with state-of-the-art, individualized care.
Salinas Valley Memorial offers enhanced safety for all maternity patients by ensuring that board certified physicians specializing in obstetrics and gynecology are in the hospital and available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Expert Emergency Care
SVMHS wants mothers who are experiencing complications to be seen right away by an in-house, board-certified OB/GYN, who can provide care until the patient's own doctor can evaluate the mother and baby’s condition. Our hospitalist physicians work with your primary OB/GYN provider to give immediate care and help make decisions about hospital admission or discharge.
The dedicated OB ED Team ensures that expectant mothers in distress are cared for right away by a highly trained staff and physician until their own doctor is contacted. OB Hospitalists don't replace a patient’s physician, they provide a safety net in situations when mother and baby can't wait.
Level III NICU
Most unexpected and early deliveries do not require to need for a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), however having a NICU at Salinas Valley Memorial operated in partnership with Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford University Medical Center offers any parent peace of mind. Read more about our Level III NICU here.
What could bring an expectant mother to the OB Emergency Room?
- Pain/bleeding in early pregnancy
- Pre-term labor
- Antenatal conditions
- Pelvic pain
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Breast conditions
- Urological conditions, such as bladder infections or urinary tract infections
- Conditions related to high-risk pregnancy (example: high blood pressure)
Our SVMHS Emergency Room Team
We’re focused in on mother-baby centered care and comfort featuring:
- Maternal-fetal specialists for high risk pregnancies
- Specialized nurses in pediatric emergency
- Clinical nurse specialists certified in high-risk pregnancy
- Board-certified Emergency OB-GYN physicians
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Dedicated OB Anesthesiologists specializing in pain management
- Neonatal CPR-certified nurses specially trained
- Neonatologists and critical care staff
- Hearing screening services provided by in-house audiologists
- Lactation specialists & support
- Certified lactation consultants
- Advanced infant security system
- Baby-friendly facility
The OB Emergency Department program is just one more way Salinas Valley Memorial is dedicated to caring for our tiniest patients. Learn more about our OB ED and how it can provide you peace of mind by calling 831-757-4333.