Cryptosporidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestine. It can cause severe
although some may have no symptoms at all.
Most healthy adults recover from this infection in a few weeks. However, it can be life threatening for young children, the elderly, and very sick people. Cryptosporidosis can be especially difficult in those with compromised immune systems.
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Cryptosporidosis is an infection caused by a parasite. The parasite enters the body by being swallowed. Once in the intestine, the parasite comes out of its shell and multiplies. You can come in contact with the parasite through:
Contaminated water (the most common way for the parasite to be transmitted):
Accidentally swallowing water in contaminated recreational water such as a lakes, streams, hot tubs, swimming pools, or water parksDrinking water or ice that is contaminatedContact with contaminated diapers or clothingContact with contaminated animal feces by touching animals, cleaning cages, or visiting barns or petting zoosSexual activity that includes contact with contaminated fecesEating food grown in, or contaminated by, infected soilDrinking contaminated unpasteurized milk, dairy products, or juiceEating food that was handled by someone who is infected or washed in contaminated water
People who are at increased risk for cryptosporidiosis infection include: Young children, especially if they are in day careDay care workers or those who work in a group setting
People whose immune system is weakened by cancer,
, or an organ transplant
People who engage in oral-anal sexBackpackers, hikers, and campers who may come into contact with contaminated water sources
Most of the time, exposed people will not have symptoms. Symptoms that do occur usually begin about a week after the infection and may include: Watery diarrheaStomach crampsUpset stomach, vomitingSlight feverWeaknessWeight lossDehydration
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. You will be asked for one or more stool samples. The samples will be sent to a lab to look for the parasite.
Most of the time your body will get rid of this infection on its own. People with healthy immune systems usually recover without needing treatment. People with a weakened immune system, like those with AIDS, have a greater risk of getting this infection. The infection is also more likely to be more severe and last longer.
Recovery can take several weeks. If you have severe diarrhea, you may be given: IV fluidsAntidiarrheal drugsNitazoxanide—a drug used to treat cryptosporidiosis. May not work if immune system is weak.
There are several important measures you can take to lower your risk of getting cryptosporidiosis:
Wash your hands often, especially:
After using the toiletAfter changing a diaperBefore handling or eating foodAfter contact with animals or soilAfter contact with infected peopleDrink safe water. Boil water if you are unsure if it’s safe.Avoid swallowing water when swimming in recreational waterEat safe food. Wash vegetables that will be eaten raw.Drink only pasteurized milk and juice.Use precautions during sexual activity.
If you are infected with cryptosporidiosis, avoid spreading the infection to others by: Washing your hands frequently.Avoiding swimming in recreational waters.Taking precautions during sexual activity.
infection. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. Available at:
. Updated January 16, 2013. Accessed May 16, 2013.
Last reviewed June 2014 by Michael Woods, MD
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.