As a Pet Therapy volunteer you will have the opportunity to share your pet's loving and nurturing personality with our patients. For hospital patients the presence of a pet can brighten their day and give them a break from the challenges they are currently facing.
To become a Pet Therapy Volunteer:
- Complete the Therapy Dog International Certification by calling (973) 252-9800 or visiting www.tdi-dog.org
- Complete a Pet Therapy Volunteer application
- Attend a 30 minute placement interview
- Attend a volunteer informational training meeting and ambassador training
- Attend a one hour floor training and observation of an experienced Pet Therapy Team
- Attend a 2-hour evaluation and training with your dog
- Complete two 2-hour training sessions with your dog
Each visit entails one to two hours for grooming prior to your visit and approximately one to two hours of visitation time.