Visiting and Filming at Salinas Valley Memorial
Due to patient confidentiality concerns, members of the media are required to contact the News and Public Affairs Department before coming to the hospital and while on campus, are required to be accompanied by a member of the News and Public Affairs Department staff. When filming, please do not interfere with patient and ambulance access to the facility.
Patient Confidentiality and HIPAA Regulations
HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act) requires that anyone requesting the condition of a patient have the full first and last name of the patient. Without written consent, only the following one-word information may be released:
- Undetermined - Patient awaiting physician assessment.
- Good - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
- Fair - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- Serious - Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
- Critical - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
- Deceased - The hospital may report the death of a patient once the next of kin has been notified or a reasonable amount of time has passed.
We will not release the condition or presence of victims of assault or other various crimes who are listed under "protective status." Law prohibits the release of information to the media in regards to psychiatric or substance abuse patients. In addition, no statement will be made identifying whether a patient was the victim of domestic violence or child abuse, or whether a patient has a sexually transmitted or communicable disease.