If you or someone you love is a patient at Salinas Valley Memorial and facing a serious illness, palliative care can help. Our palliative care team uses a variety of approaches and therapies to control symptoms, manage pain, reduce stress and make you more comfortable. This specialized area of medicine has been shown to enhance quality of life for patients and their family members.
Palliative Care is not the same as hospice care. While hospice is only for people in the final months of life, palliative care can help at any stage and with all types of illness. It can take place at the same time as other hospital treatments and those designed to cure your illness.
At Salinas Valley Memorial, our palliative care team includes board-certified physicians, pharmacists, nurses, social workers, and practitioners of healing arts such as music, art and pet therapies, spiritual care, aromatherapy, massage and healing touch. Together, we make sure that you receive:
• Expert treatment of your symptoms including pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, constipation, nausea, loss of appetite, and problems with sleep.
• Care that helps improve your ability to tolerate medical treatments.
• Close communication about your illness and treatment choices.
• Coordination of your care among all your healthcare providers.
• Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family.
• Practical information for day-to-day living.
• Referral and coordination of home care services. Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare is partnered with VNA for Palliative Home Care.
Many insurance plans, including Medicare and Medi-Cal, cover palliative care services. It is handled similarly to the coverage for other medical care such as for heart disease, cancer or an injury.
For more information about Palliative Medicine at SVMHS email PalliativeCare@svmh.com or call (831) 759-3097. We welcome questions from both you and your family.
Download a Palliative Care Brochure