This is a good way to get vegetables into the meal plan. Serve with a mixed green salad and some whole wheat bread.
|Serving Size||1 cup|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Medium onions, chopped||2|
|Garlic cloves, minced||4|
|Celery stalks, diced||2|
|Medium red or green peppers, cut into strips||2|
|Chopped mushrooms||1 cup|
|Uncooked rice||2 cups|
|Chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed||3 pounds|
|Salt (optional)||1 teaspoon|
|Chicken broth, fat removed||3½ cups|
|Water with saffron (Sazón) for color||4 cups|
|Medium tomatoes, chopped||3|
|Frozen peas||1 cup|
|Frozen corn||1 cup|
|Frozen green beans||1 cup|
|Olives or capers for garnish, if desired|
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to brown.
- Add the chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, saffron (Sazón), and tomatoes. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the casserole simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, corn, and beans, and cook for 8-10 minutes. When everything is hot the casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.